Today is National Black Dog Day. It was started on October 1, 2016, to encourage people to adopt black dogs who are often left behind in shelters. More black dogs are euthanized in shelters regardless of their breed.
Not wanting to adopt a black dog is known as “Black Dog Syndrome.” Some people feel they look scary or angry, some feel they hide their personalities. After having three black labrador retrievers, two of which were adopted, I can say they are completely wrong.
Are you looking for a reason to adopt a black dog? Here are 10 good ones:
- Black dogs are just as loyal and loving as dogs of any other color.
- They are mysterious.
- They always look clean.
- Stereotypes can work to your advantage.
- They are always ready for every formal event.
- No dog takes a better snow or sand picture.
- The truth is they look great in any photo.
- Are you cold? Stand next to a black dog who has been out in the sun. You’ll warm up quickly.
- Be a trendsetter.
- They are available and waiting for you! The best reason of all.
So, on this National Black Dog Day if you are thinking about adopting a dog, give a black one a try. You won’t be sorry.
The picture above is of our third and current Labrador, Hank. He was adopted from Labrador Retriever Recuse of Florida. Seven years ago yesterday and he has been a wonderful addition to our home.